The Times They Are a-Changin'

Wow, it's been forever since I posted!  The last few months just absolutely flew by.  Hmm, where to begin catching you up (and how to do so without making a post a mile long)?

We had our Phi Mu Founders' Day, and I'm so thankful my mom was able to come again.  I was honored to receive the "Best Senior" award.


I threw Winnie a birthday party for her first birthday, because why not?  I really do treat her like my daughter, and I'm so thankful for how happy she's made me and the bond we've established over the past year.


Cake edible for dogs made by River Dog Bakery

We went to our last date party with a "Mus at the Zoo" theme.  My friends and I went as an elementary school class on a field trip to the zoo.


Phi Mu held its annual ceremony during which the seniors become alumni.  Tears.  One of the best decisions I made in college.  Y'all already know this, but I really can't emphasize enough the confidence, worth and place of belonging my sorority gave me.  It wasn't an organization I joined just because everybody else was rushing; it changed so many facets of my life and greatly improved who I was as a person.  No exaggeration.

Cougars for life.  Also, we were the largest senior pledge class in Panhellenic, which must say something about how incredible the Kappa chapter of Phi Mu is.

We had our last formal.  I wore a dress I was in love with and reminded me of Glinda's from Wicked (obsessed with that musical), and my friends and I sure had fun.




(Boys have really poor photography skills, knowing how to zoom in, crop, etc.)

Oh yeah, then I GRADUATED COLLEGE!  I'm so thankful for everything my university (particularly my college and major) gave me.  It really hasn't hit me yet that I'm actually done with that chapter in my life.  I'm going to miss my friends so much, but I know we'll stay close.








Since I've been home, I've been super busy with a lot of fun things.

I went to my friend Kelsey's graduation brunch and commencement ceremony.  We've been friends since middle school and both went to each other's college graduations.  My hometown friendships mean more to me than I can express!


My best friend's nephew, McClain had a construction themed 2nd birthday party.  I can't believe he's already 2!  I hung out with my best friend almost every day the summer he was born while she babysat him, and he stole my heart.  I just love him to death.  He'll always have a special place in my heart.


One of my friends from my high school choir (our families also go way back), Lindsay, had her bridal shower.  I'm always happy for my friends when they get engaged, but I am just absolutely thrilled for this one in particular.  Lindsay truly is a gem, and finding a person with a heart as kind and selfless as hers is rare.  I've seen her through different relationships, and we've complained about being single and wondering if we'll ever find The One, and I'm filled with joy about the fact she found hers!  There are few people as deserving as her.


I couldn't make it to her bachelorette party that night, because I had another group of friends in town I had already committed to see, but I happened to run into her downtown!  Isn't she going to be such a beautiful bride?!  Thank you, photobomber.


My friend, Kaeli, threw a Phi Mu kitchen themed bridal shower for one of our sisters who is our age but graduated a year early, Katie.  Katie was the philanthropy chairman before me, and I look up to her so much.  She's a wonderful person, and I'm so excited for her!



So now what?!  Oh yeah, I got a summer internship at a PR firm in New York City!!!  It's been my dream ever since I was a little girl to live and work in NYC as a young professional, and it's still a bit surreal that this dream is becoming a reality.  I've worked hard over the past year in particular to make it happen, including flying there in December to conduct informational interviews and filling out applications toward the beginning of this year.  I accepted an offer to intern at Burson-Marsteller in its corporate and financial practice.  I truly believe in this company, its work and what it stands for.  I'm so thankful I was selected, and I can't wait to see how much I will learn and grow.

Everybody said it was hard to find a place to live in New York City, and I knew that coming into it, but I don't think anybody could have prepared for me just how big of a headache it actually was.  Right as I was starting to really lose hope, I found a gem of a one bedroom apartment in a high rise building in downtown Brooklyn.  The building has an elevator, a 24 hour doorman and green space right outside (perfect for Winnie)!  My apartment has its own washer and dryer and floor to ceiling windows, which I'm in love with.  The building is just steps from tons of restaurants, shops and things to do downtown, a five minute walk from a park (again, perfect for Winnie) and a 12 minute subway ride from my office.  I truly lucked out happening to find something this perfect in our budget.  I'm also fond of Brooklyn, because that's where my godfather lives, and he is who I've always stayed with when I've visited, so I'm excited to be close to him as well.

I'm feeling a little bit of every emotion, but of course, I'm mostly excited!  I know this is what I want and need.  I just wish all my family and friends could come with me, but of course that's not possible.  It just shows how lucky I am to have these people in my life that it makes me sad to leave them.  It'll be an adjustment, and it's the first time I'll ever live on my own.  However, I love the city, and I truly believe this internship will be a perfect fit for me, so I'm beyond thrilled and grateful.  I can't wait to see just how much I'll grow and learn as I begin this new journey in life!


0 comments:

Post a Comment